Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sorry no internet

Good Morning,

I must apologize for me and the kids not keeping our blogs updated.  But this trip has been the worst so far for power outages, no internet signals, etc... etc.........  We went an entire 10 days without any kind of internet access.  It was quite frustrating!

But anyhow, my last blog mentioned the beginning of our trip and this blog is close to the end of our trip.  We've had a very busy time here in Malawi.  Driving place to place and visiting project after project.  To the point where my head is slightly spinning and I'm trying to remember with the quick notes I scribbled, what I saw where!!

We went to check out two of the schools we left retrofit money for last time we were here.  Unga 1 had done amazing things with the money we left.  They even kept every receipts, documented where all the money went and presented me with a budget of items that are still quite urgent to complete.  We will definately be leaving them with some more so that they can continue the good work.  They are all about involving the community and the students.  The students actually have a class on brick making, so that is how alot of the bricks for the school are made!  It gives students ownership in their school as well!  Brilliant!

Unga 2 on the otherhand, did not spend our money well.  I couldn't see any sign of change from our last visit, things had just continued to deteriate even further.  Although my heart goes out to the students who attend that school in those horrid conditions, HFM sadly can't help them.  Unless the head master, teachers and community are willing to take the money and work hard to make it stretch and do what work they can on their own, they're school will not move forward.  We have to sow our money into projects that are making a difference with the money we leave.  But it really broke my heart to see those students with so much hope in their eyes.   It was a very difficult decision to not leave money with them.  Hopefully a lesson will be learned, and on our next trip we see that they have truly tried to help the school on their own and we can again begin to assist them.

We then met up with my very dear friend Katherine, my amai in Malawi.  (My Mom)  I love her dearly.  She is a fantastic 75 year old woman who had us pooped out by the end of the day with the speed she was showing us progress on her projects!!   Katherine has assisted many communities with starting up preschools for kids aged 2 to 5.  They come, learn English and have a warm meal.  The kids were so proud to show off their alphabet and calendar skills!  I was very impressed!!   Adorable little kids! And this time they weren't as scared of the azungu's as last time!! (foreigner)  Only a few screamed in utter fear at us!  lol  Poor kids.............

We then visited some of Katherine's dams.  The dams are usually built and run by woman that are HIV positive.  This allows them an income to support their families and themselves.  They stock the dams with fish and use the water to water the crops they have planted in the area.  It was wonderful!  The woman took such care of it and their crops were so green and healthy!  Better than anywhere I had seen so far!

Well, this post is getting long.  I'll continue more tonight.  Tomorrow we leave on safari and leave the country on Thursday.  It's always with bittersweet feelings that I leave.  I'm sad to leave my friends here and worry about them until we come again.  But then I'm so excited to see my little boy at home and Andrew.  Coming on these trips sometimes seems at a high expense.  Not just money wise.  But I've left my 6 year old boy at home, 3 times now for a month.  I miss him dreadfully when I'm gone.  I have to actually not allow myself to think of him too often until the end of the trip.  Then I can't wait to get home.  This time we will lay over in Nairobi for 3 nights.  Although I'm so excited to see my childhood friend Maria, I think I might be just a bit anxious to just get going home!  lol

Until later..........

Sue

Ps.  I'm not spellchecking this as we are in a rush to leave.....  sorry about the many mistakes I'm sure I've made!!  lol

No comments: