Sunday, March 4, 2007

Flood

Hey every-one. Thanks to every-one that came out last night to our info night. I was so happy that so many came out to see what Malawi was like. I'd like to share about the flood in Zambia now that I have had some time to process it. We went into Zambia for a few days and the night before we left Zambia, we had torrential downpours again which caused many of the major rivers to overflow their banks. What a mess! We were barely able to make it out of our camp, in fact we were the last vehicle to make it. God had His hand on our Land Rover - we went through water that was going over our hood and flowing into the truck. We had some tense moments. We also had to walk through waters up to our knees (Jaako's thighs) that had crocodiles and snakes in it. God kept us safe. Once we were out and driving down the main road to Malawi, we were devastated to see all of the water around us in the lower lying areas. Huts were up to the roof in water and people were moving their few belongings up to the road in order to save it. I was only able to think, what were these people going to do now? Their crops were ruined, their homes and villages were ruined, what little they had was now lost. Dry season is coming soon, so another crop won't be possible for a while. This isn't a situation that is uncommon. Although it was the worst than it has been in decades, but every year people in those areas suffer from flooding. Malawi had a huge flood just prior to us getting there. The devastation in these countries is so huge and it seems that so few actually care - or they just don't know about the crisis as it's not in every papers headlines when it happens there. I don't know what the answers are. I won't stop praying though until I have some. This flood was where Jaako and I contracted Belharzia. When left untreated it could be life threatening. Jaako and I were desperately sick from it, but we had the $6.00 (combined total for both of us) medication that would make us well again. Most people there won't get the medication. It's almost a weeks salary to just get treated. I keep asking myself why we are so priveleged. This bothers me night and day. Why do I live the life that I do? What makes me special? I don't have the answers. I can only help.

No comments: